Tuesday, December 28, 2010

An Alaska Midlife Crisis

Scene: Me sitting at dining room table, cooling down after a brutal *snort* workout on Wii Fit. Phone rings. Check caller ID: Husband at work.

Me: Hi, what's up?

Husband: Well--

Me: Uh oh.

Husband: Have I got a deal for you.

Me: Uh oh.

Husband: It's a way you can keep me in a manner in which I'd like to get used to.

Me: You've found a way to sell thousands of copies of my book?

Husband: No. I want to buy a bobcat with Linee and Jason.

Me: Not the predatory mammal kind, I assume.

Husband: No, the front end loader kind. We can use it for snow removal, and to fix the gully in the driveway, and to recontour the parking area so it doesn't flood every spring, and--

Me: How much?

Husband: Only two, maybe three grand.

Me: (choking on water) Only?

Husband: If it's still available.

Me: I see.

Husband: Can you bring me the checkbook?

Me: (long suffering sigh) Sure. I'll be there in half an hour.

In Alaska, particularly here in the boonies, there is little call for zippy red sports cars, and having an affair would soon become public knowledge in a place where everyone knows everyone else's business. So as far as a midlife crisis goes, this one at least has a practical side.

Any bets on what the next request might be?

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At 4:16 PM, Blogger LVLM(Leah) said...

That... is totally hot! A man who wants a bobcat? I would kill to have my DH want something like that. LOL

I used to drive a bobcat. They're a blast and work great if you have lots of land that needs work done on it.

My Mr. goes out and buys a $1000 slr digital camera and is looking at just as expensive lenses for it. This for a guy who barely used his normal SLR camera since I got it for him for one Xmas.

Guess it's better than cheating or fast cars. Although, I wouldn't begrudge a Ferrari or Porche if that were to happen. :D

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

Leah, I *would* begrudge him the fast car only because I know he wouldn't let me drive it. Heck, I wasn't even allowed to get a red minivan because *someone* thought I drove too fast and would draw the attention of the police.

As for the current MCP (midlife crisis purchase), the bobcat was already sold : ( We'll have to keep checking for the next opportunity.

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger Maria Zannini said...

Sorry he lost out on the bobcat. My hubby has wanted one too, but he's just being spoiled. He might need it for one or two jobs and then we'd be stuck with it. (We've been through this phase before.)

As for what your hubby might want next...might I suggest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeanPDO-D6M&feature=player_embedded

Even I thought it was tres cool.

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

Holy cow, Maria, that WAS tres cool! We have a wood stove so yeah, that would be handy. Scott has been planning on getting a small, portable log splitter next time he's in Anchorage, but nothing like that, I assure you. I better not show him the video ; )

I'd questioned him about the usage of the bobcat too, but here we can pretty much be guaranteed it would keep busy for snow removal at least part of the year. Especially if we were co-owners and the other family used it as much. Plus, the science center where he works needs some bob cat-required work done, and he could rent it to them so *they* wouldn't have to buy one or contract someone. I have to admit, he had good arguements : )

 
At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOLOL Yours and mine are two peas in a pod. In fact, that whole conversation was deja vu moment for me in regards to a number of purchases my man has made. He needs no midlife crisis to break open the bank! ;)

Hope you had a Merry Christmas! Have fun clearing the driveway!

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have read all the comments now...I'm so sad the bobcat was already gone. Well, still...I do *hope* you have fun clearing the driveway, regardless. Wish I could be there to help!

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

Thanks, meretta. I wish you could be here to help too ;) The rain seems to be doing a decent job, however.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Jody W. and Meankitty said...

I'm hoping for my husband's midlife crisis he starts talking some.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

The question is, W&C, what will he say? o_O

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Stephanie Thornton said...

Another Alaska writer- yay!

Your post reminds me of my dad- he's got a backhoe and a bulldozer. Just because, you know... he can.

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

Hi, Stephanie. Thanks for stopping by.

It seems boys don't really grow out of having their toys, do they : )

It's always fun to find other "local" writers. Where are you? We might be neighbors ; )

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

love your blog!

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

Thanks, Melanie. It's always nice to see new faces : ) Come visit again anytime!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home