Saturday, January 16, 2010

All Grown Up

There are certain milestones in life that you are supposed to accrue to be deemed a grown up. These may include, but are not limited to, attending/graduating from college, getting a *real* job, getting married or being in a long term relationship, having a child, buying a new car, buying a home. The sort of things that make your parents, guardian or parole officer sigh with relief of a job well done. Everyone is different, of course, so your milestones may vary.

Recently, I've added another two items to my personal list: buying a new living room set and installing new carpeting in the vast majority of the house.

You'll notice I have the word "set" in bold. That's because until now, we have purchased furniture one piece at a time and none of it actually went with the rest. Never an entire three-piece set that goes together. That all arrives on the truck at the same time. It's a heady experience, I tell you, to see all that lovely matching upholstery in one room.

And new carpeting? Bliss! So clean, so cushy. New carpet smell is not as pleasant as new car smell, to be sure, but it is just as significant as a sign of adulthood.

Granted, with two kids, two dogs and two cats, the newness of the furniture and carpet will fade quickly, but for now I feel all grown up. Well, mostly.

What makes you feel grown up?

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 6:40 AM, Blogger Jody W. and Meankitty said...

I have it on good authority that the cats are very excited about the new furniture too.

My word verification, btw, is "scrotere". Do I really want to know??

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

Yes, the cats are almost as giddy as I am about the furniture. There is much "No no!" and swatting, but they're getting the idea.

RE: your ver. word--No, you don't want to know. Neither do I : P

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger LVLM(Leah) said...

Heh, Cathy, my husband and I finally got a real couch and end tables after 9 years of using a futon couch and wood crates for end tables.

We still don't have a dining room table or even a kitchen table. We always eat on the coffee table with pulls up and toward you to make a table.

So you're far ahead in the game of being grown up.

Still, we don't have all matching stuff, but I do know how you feel. It was a big decision to do that. LOL

But it's nice to get new furniture and and carpet. What fun!

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

It is fun, but I wouldn't say I'm ahead in the game of grown up. Trust me : )

Now, I need to manage the stress of kids/husband eating in the living room or not at the dining room table (it's basically all one room, so the dining area is carpeted). They're doing okay, but I'm sure they will slip. As will I.

The hardest will be getting the cats to hack up hairballs and such on the more cleanable surfaces of the kitchen or bathrooms. But I know they won't. 'Cuz they're cats, and that's how they roll.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger LVLM(Leah) said...

The hardest will be getting the cats to hack up hairballs and such on the more cleanable surfaces of the kitchen or bathrooms. But I know they won't. 'Cuz they're cats, and that's how they roll.

Oh man, I totally feel for you. We have cats and I've seen them actually try to reach the carpet to hack a fur ball, when a perfectly good and easily cleanable tile floor was right there. >.<

They are sneaky little buggers who like to mess you with. LOL

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

They are sneaky little buggers...

Ain't that the truth : )

And yes, I've witnessed the dash for the carpet FROM the tiled/linoleumed areas. WTF?

You should check out http://www.meankitty.com for some good kitty stories/pics. Not stories about good kitties, as the title says it all ; )

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger BestDayEver said...

Mmmm...new furniture.

I still haven't done that. My couch has been passed from kid-to-kid in my family (kids now in their 40's). No chair! And the coffee table is a sturdy paper-mache hippo that my uncle made for his bio class 20+ years ago.

You're jealous of the coffee table. Admit it.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

I am TOTALLY jealous of your coffee table. Mine is quite boring : P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home