Sunday, October 18, 2009

Equal Rights and a Family's Heartache

This is not a political blog. In fact, I usually do my darnedest to keep my politics out of public forums. But this story/link posted on Nicola Griffith's blog about a family denied the opportunity to see their dying partner/mother is an outrage. A crime against what we humans should have over the basest of creatures: compassion. I'm sure the hospital social worker, the doctors and other personnel were just following the rules. Well, you know what? The rules suck. And when rules suck, when they prevent loved ones from seeing their ill family member and prevent them from saying good bye, the rules need to be changed. Now.

For those of you in Washington state, Referendum 71 is worthy of your attention and your vote. If you live elsewhere, find out where your state stands on same-sex marriage and domestic partnerships. You may be surprised. And possibly stunned and disappointed. If so, make an effort to change it.

If the states won't step up, there needs to be a federally mandated equal marriage law. Equal.

I have never understood how granting equal rights to all could possibly be detrimental to anyone. When I read the story I wept for that family and for everyone caught up in the stupidity that is the current climate. And my friends, we are ALL caught up in the current climate.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 7:32 PM, Blogger BestDayEver said...

How could anyone do that to another human being? I can only hope that karma bites the officias involved in their petty, small-minded asses.


And it make sme glad I moved from Washington.

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

It is a horrendous story, isn't it?

The family was in Miami when the one woman became ill. Florida wouldn't recognise their Washington state legal papers. If there was equal rights for all it wouldn't have been an issue.

Let's hope Washingtonians step up and make the right decision. Let's hope we don't have to wait much longer for the nation to get its collective head out of its collective heiney.

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger LVLM(Leah) said...

You know I live in WA and have for a long time. I've seen where friends have been allowed to come in a take care of and be around dying friends even without being in relationship, allowed by hospital and other healthcare places.

So it's so hard for me to believe that such a horrendous thing could happen.

This what happened in FL, just on a human level, is so wrong. Even to take out the gay/lesbian factor, what's so wrong about acting like frigging human beings and letting even a best friend come in when death is eminent?

I just don't get it. Where was the heart of those people there. I get that there are rules and such to protect the privacy of patients, but there's also compassion and common sense.

So even when a person does have the legal right to represent another person, still they are forced to be left out of the loop in another state? WTF? really.

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

Compassion and common sense seem to be missing in current laws that cover things like this, Leah. It's not the way I want my country to continue heading, that's for sure.

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger BestDayEver said...

Florida..why am I not shocked?
Am glad that WA wasn't to blame since I still have friedns there!

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

It's amazing how much crap occurs in that skinny peninsula, isn't it?

Pass this on to your peeps in WA. They should make themselves heard on this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home