Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Another Day, Another WIP

I recently began the submission process with my latest and greatest (ha!) work, and in an effort to keep producing while trying to not think about my story sitting in agents' query In boxes, I've begun another piece. Well, sort of.

I started one about dragon shapeshifters, changed the plot/conflict on that, and then got busy with Thanksgiving. I promised myself I'd get back to it, but in the meantime, a story idea for a character from the above mentioned work popped into my wee head. I fiddled with that over the weekend, even going so far as to write out some character sketches and a synopsis. A nearly complete, 8 handwritten pages synopsis! Much more organized than I usually work, but I'm hoping to get this one written in a shorter time than my other books. Why? To see if I can. And I think I can.

Though I have yet to write much of the manuscript itself, I have a first scene. Maybe. Most of that was to get into my heroine's head. She's a former drug addict trying to go straight when she's approached by the hero to help him save his younger sister from the same drug dealing bad guy the heroine had been with years before. Not necessarily an original plot, but as we all know, it's all in the execution. The story could be set in any time period, any place. I'm pulling the hero from my latest and greatest (ha!), a futuristic/SF setting on another planet. It's a world that I'd like to explore some more, so there you go.

I don't know how much I'll get written during the holiday season, but I have a couple of long plane rides coming up and my children are old enough not to require constant monitoring while we fly. I should put a pretty good dent in it. Or in the shapeshifter story if that one gels a bit more. Either way, as long as the ideas flow, the writing never really stops, does it? And thank goodness for that.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, Blogger Kimber Li said...

Hey, you're doing better than me. I can't figure out what to write next, so I'm just writing silly stuff which will never see the inside of Barnes & Noble.

P.S. If you're an Alaskan and you ride in an airplane, my husband might be your pilot. If you think it's hard riding on a plane once in a while, try LIVING in Aviation Time Warp sometime!
;)

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

Hey there, Kimber An. Thanks for dropping by! And I so hear you on the "never see the inside of a B&N" thing. Some of my stuff slips through the genre cracks, but I enjoy writing it : )

Oy! Living in Aviation Time Warp must be a challenge. I'll stick with the hubby who's mostly in town at regular hours, thank you. But is there a code word I should call out on the plane to see if it's him? Sort of a "Marco!" "Polo!" exchange?Wouldn't THAT get the passengers wondering

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Jody W. and Meankitty said...

Does this mean I never get to read the horny dragons story??

Jody

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

I wouldn't say "never", Jody. The thing is, I think the dragon story may be more involved than a 20-30K story can cover. Maybe. Or I'm just psyching myself out. Hard to say : ) But you'll get something from me after the holidays.

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Jane Doe said...

Okay, I have to ask - what do the dragons shapeshift into? What could be cooler than a dragon? I also write stories. My latest masterpiece of modern fiction is about lingerie models stranded on an island.
B.

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

Hi, B.

My dragons shift into human form. Or vice versa, depending on your view : )

Lingerie models on an island? Dare I ask how/why/what they'll be doing ; ) Whatever it is, good luck with the writing.

Thanks for visiting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home