Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Empty House, Full Mind, Attention Span of a Gnat

School started a couple of weeks ago, so the kids are gone from 8am to 4pm. DH left this morning for a three week research cruise out of San Diego. I'm in my very quiet bedroom/office listening to one of the dogs snoring and listening for the cat who escaped last night and has yet to return. Stupid cat.

With all this quiet, I'm excited about getting some work done. I have a manuscript that needs revising, and will get revised and submitted if *ahem* I can get my crit partners to return the parts I sent to them. I have another that was put on hold and needs finishing, and still more ideas jostling for attention in my wee head.

The hardest thing about having all this quiet, all this "me" time, is actually focusing on the task at hand. Yes, I know. Poor me. All this time during the day, no kids interrupting, and my biggest distraction is my own brain. At least it's doing *something*.

I'm better than I used to be about managing my time. Often, I even get housework done. Well, perhaps "often" is a bit of an overstatement. But it gets done. Eventually. And my kids never go to school wearing dirty clothes.

So my job, when I'm not called in to substitute at the school, is to keep myself on track. Wish me luck. Look! Something shiny!!! Just kidding : )

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 5:28 PM, Blogger Jody W. and Meankitty said...

The shiny thing is your synopsis... Oh, yes, you will work on it... :)

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

Oh, the synopsis is far from shiny, but it is calling my name like the last jelly donut in the box. You'll get it soon enough. The synopsis, not the jelly donut : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home