Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Pictures!

As promised, a few pictures of our new location.
On the right is the view of town and the sea from the ski hill where we were attending a bluegrass festival. Below, also from the ski hill, a shot of a bit of the mountains that flank town.



Next are a couple of shots of Childs Glacier. It's about an hour's ride from town, on a well maintained gravel road. The area where the kids are sitting is about 1/4 mile from the face of the glacier. It was a nice day, lots of folks around. We went to the site for an anniversary party and as folks chatted you could hear the glacier grumble and crackle. Pieces calved into the river and we waited to see if this was the piece that made a large enough splash to send a wave over to us. Yes, it had happened before. The calving ice chunk was large enough to flood the park 1/4 mile from the glacier face. Luckily, nothing that impressive happened while we were there.















More pics later!

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 6:07 AM, Blogger Jody W. and Meankitty said...

Gorgeous! Does calving make glaciers cows?

Jody W

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger BestDayEver said...

Next year, I'm visiting...if not sooner! It's gorgeous!

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

Jody: I'm not sure where the term "calving" came from, though I'm sure someone does. Maybe because sometimes the glacier sounds like a lowering cow as it moooooves? : ) It sounds more like the rumble of thunder to me.

Sharron: You're on permanent invite : ) Bring Jody with you if you can ; )

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Tracy Montoya said...

OK, I can see why you live there. Your new place is GORGEOUS. Although if I EVER saw snow in my backyard in July, I'd totally cry.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

Luckily the snow is WAAAY up on the mountains, Tracy. I don't know how long the snow sticks around in lower elevations. I'll have to whine about it next "spring".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home