Sunday, April 29, 2007

From the "WTF?" Files

Sometimes I'm amazed at the level of shear dopeyness that abounds. Maybe I shouldn't be. I've been around long enough to see a lot of stupidity, but now and again... . I'm not talking earth-shattering stupidity, like wars or such, but relatively little things that make you scratch your head and say, "What the...?"

Case in point:

I recently lost my father. He'd been sick for a while (my family back East bore the brunt while I lived so far away, something I can never hope to repay them for nor understand exactly what they had to deal with, especially my sister and mother. I'm grateful for their being there for him.) and was on all kind of medications. His meds were normally delivered to the house after his somewhat regular visits to his primary physician, where the renewed prescriptions where faxed to the pharmaceutical company.

After he passed away last month, one would think his primary physician would have been notified. None of us called, as were were a tad busy at the time, but I'd have assumed the hospital let him know. They may have. I don't know. What I do know is that the medication company sent new meds to my parents' house this past week. My father hadn't been in to see the doctor for a month, for obvious reasons, so why did the doctor put in an order for the meds without an exam, something required he do?

I'll assume there was some kind of clerical error and not a screw up on the doctor's part. Poor clerks, always taking the heat for things. But I don't know for sure who's to blame.

So my mother has to call the doctor's office and let them know one of their patients has been gone for a month and to please not order more meds. She shouldn't have to do that. No one should.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home