Friday, December 08, 2006

Oh the Weather Outside is Frightful...

But not in the sort of good way the song implies. That particular carol suggests it's snowy and blowy and just the PERFECT weather for staying in by the fire.

Well, the sunny 20-25 degree days we experienced a few weeks ago, accompanied by just enough snow to make things pretty, have been replaced by mid to upper 30s and rain. At least we have the blowy part down. And no, I don't have a fireplace. Sitting before the Monitor heater watching the element glow just isn't the same thing. Plus, it's hard to roast marshmallows.

Unfortunately, what we're getting now is more typical of the weather here on the Alaska south central coast. Gray soggy days, near freezing nights, and slicker than a used car salesman's hair (please see NOTE in comments section) come morning. It's conducive to staying inside, hunkered down with a good book and a cup of tea.

Or maybe even writing! There's an idea. I have two stories vying for attention in my brain, and with winter break almost upon us I'll be refereeing kids all too soon. Maybe we'll get lucky and the temp will drop so the snow will come. I have no qualms about sending kids outside to play in the snow, but it's hard to justify outdoor time when it's cold, pouring and muddy. Damn you, global warming!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, Blogger dick clinch said...

"slicker than a used car salesman's hair?"

I'll have to remember that one.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Meretta said...

Mud is not a mother's friend!

I will do my best to send you some of our snow, okay?

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

Thanks, Meretta!

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

NOTE: Upon consideration, I'd like to revise the phrase about the used car salesman's hair to read as follows: "slicker than a used car salesman pitching a '75 Pinto."

Okay, I like it better. Such is the hazard with on the fly posts, and the benefit(?) of review.

Thank you.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Tracy Montoya said...

Ugh, no fireplace? If I lived there, I'd be asleep all the time. Actually, I lived in WA for three years, and I WAS asleep all the time. Or wanting to sleep. Or just about to fall asleep. I do not do well in gray, wet, overcast climates.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger BestDayEver said...

I could live without the rain but snow is fun... as long as it melts as soon as I am done with it. I wish I ran the universe!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home