Thursday, October 25, 2007

And Just Like That, I Have a Job

No, not a writing gig, unfortunately. I assure you, were I to get anything resembling a contract of any kind you wouldn't have to read it here first. You'd HEAR my hoots of delight from whatever corner of the world you reside.

The job I have is with the local school district as a substitute aide or teacher (hahahaha--Cathy flicks tear from corner of eye). Andrea, one of the lovely ladies who runs the office at my kids' school, called me earlier today to see if I'd be interested in applying, as there is a shortage of subs. This being a small town, I wasn't surprised about the difficulty of getting subs. The calling me at home to ask was another matter. I'd never been solicited for a job I hadn't first applied for or mentioned any interest in pursuing. Another aspect of small town living: they know who is working a regular job and who isn't. I'm an "isn't."

So, I agreed. Andrea told me to go to the troopers' office to get a background check then to the superintendent's office to fill out the application. Oh, and please do it soon, as they need me. Tomorrow. Um...okay.

Off I go to the troopers' office. I showed them two forms of ID, signed a paper, and two minutes later I received an official "Nope, she's never committed any crimes" report. I've led a relatively boring life, criminally speaking. Then it's to the superintendent's office. I told the woman at the desk I was there to fill out an application for substitute aide. She said, in effect, "Oh, yes. Andrea said you'd be coming in." Good thing I didn't put it off or maybe they'd have called me at home again to ask where I was. More paperwork, more showing of ID and now I have a job. Well, not a regular job, but that's fine too.

Tomorrow is my first day. Gulp! I haven't worked outside the home (or inside much, if you ask my husband) since before my 7 year-old was born. Should be interesting. But as a substitute aide for elementary kids, I'll be okay. I may not be able to run faster than them, but I can scream louder.

Wish me luck.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Blogger BestDayEver said...

I love small town life--they really do know everything you do. :)

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Jody W. and Meankitty said...

Well, this should be interesting! I hated subbing. Maybe it won't suck as bad where you are.

OH, I'm just a ray of sunshine, aren't I??

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

So far it has been interesting, o ray of sunshine : ) I'm sticking with the elementary school, because middle and high schoolers scare me. Actually, I'm sure they're all fine kids. I'm just more confident in my ability to "take" anyone smaller than a 7th grader.

 
At 2:48 AM, Blogger BestDayEver said...

>>>I'm just more confident in my ability to "take" anyone smaller than a 7th grader.

Oh--nice. :) I can just see you putting a first-grader in a headlock at recess!

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

Heck, first-graders are small enough that I can do two at a time : )

Not that I would.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home