Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Grow Up Already

Since I have an outside-of-the-house job, irregular as it may be, I actually have to dress like a grown up now and again. Sometimes for several days in a row. Crazy, I know. But because I didn't have any real need for normal, every day clothing, my serviceable wardrobe dwindled dramatically over the last seven years. If something got worn out, or stained (slob that I am, likely), or didn't fit any more (sadly, this was *most* likely), I didn't bother replacing it. Why spend money when I didn't really need to? I've never been concerned with fashion, and luckily we've lived in places where casual was acceptable for every occasion, so jeans and tee shirts or a sweater worked for me.

Until now. Now, not only do I have to wear something other than jeans sometimes, the clothes need to make me look like a grown up. No one would mistake me for any of the kids at either school, but I have to at least try to reflect my reaching adulthood. Tee shirts with cute pictures and snarky phrases won't do. The staff at the school would give me "looks." Not that they're snobby or anything, they are all very nice people, but I need to make the effort and present myself properly.

At the same time, I don't have a lick of fashion sense (which works well with the stand-by jeans and tee shirt outfits) and like to be comfortable (again, jeans and tees fit here). I settled on ordering some nice tees online, a pair of pants and a new pair of shoes. While still casual, I can dress up the tees and the pants aren't jeans. The shoes are more of a question mark as far as fit and style go. They may have to go back. We'll see.

I doubt anyone seeing me in my version of adult attire will swoon over my choices, but I won't embarrass anyone either. Hopefully they'll just appreciate that for where I'm from, my new duds mean either I won the lottery or have a court date.

6 Comments:

At 7:33 PM, Blogger Sierra Donovan said...

Hi Cathy,

Nice to "see" you in your lovely new grown-up duds! So, are you working at your kids' schools? I've been looking for something along those lines for a while ... something so I can still be home when my kids are.

How goes the writing?

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

Always good to "see" you, too, Sierra : )

Yes, I work as a substitute teacher or one-on-one aide. It's sporatic work with decent pay, but also gives me time to be with the kidlets and write.

The writing is going well, thanks. How about you?

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Jody W. and Meankitty said...

Black dress pants. I would say you can't go wrong with those, but you can. However, it IS possible to go right with them as well :)

Jody

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

Heh heh, so true, Jody. I already have so much black clothing that I look like I'm in perpetual mourning. But really I'm hiding 20 years of cheese cake abuse : O

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Amy Jandrey said...

Well, since I work at the administrative offices at the school district, our superintendent has a no blue jeans policy....so I wear colored jeans! :-) It's not like anyone sees me anyway, I'm stuck in a little cubicle (one nice thing about not being in a classroom). I absolutely despise wearing formal clothing. Give me jeans and tennis shoes any day. I figure a nice top can dress up any jeans. So get over it. LOL

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Cathy in AK said...

Hehe, I guess I do have it pretty good, Amy, so I'll quit griping.

And I love how you get around the *blue* jeans rule ; )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home